A waste of $4.5 and 4.5 on free tickets to VAMPS that I won at Fanime.
First my review of the venue (The Regency Ballroom):
$1.50 for the two bottles of water they confiscated at the door.
$3.00 for making me coat check my bag because I had a “professional camera” (DSLR) and only “digital cameras” are allowed.
If you’re gonna coat check my damn bag then don’t grab and throw my water away without warning. Also, when you do that to people, I’m not gonna pay $5 for your water inside.
Also, be consistent on the photography rules.
1) The MC actually said no *flash* photography allowed for the band, despite what your sign and security guy said. Get it straight which it’s supposed to be.
2) If flash photography is not allowed, then it makes even less sense to force people with DSLRs to coat check those given those are the type of camera that can have the big ass lenses that don’t require flash in the first place.
Fire your idiot security. Or management.
Next, my thoughts on the band/event itself.
1) A couple hundred people jumping on the floor = earthquake
2) What is up with those weird hand gestures. Some people looked like they were having an epilepsy with the way they were shaking their hand. :P Seems like most people were doing the satan sign (index and pinkie) and the love sign (index pinkie thumb) with their hands, though looking at his videos on Youtube, I think this is a US thing as these weren’t nearly as common in those vids. Hyde himself only did peace/victory (index and middle), which is more commonly mimicked in the videos.
3) Only two or three people with glowsticks. Only one of them with a cyalume.
4) Again, girls seemed to get more in the mood. Suspect boy band phenomenon a la Alice Summerthing.
5) Hyde talking in the middle was cool, through his Engrish. :P The best part was him noticing that SF has a Hyde street.
6) Hyde drinking and then spitting the water on the crowd, then tossing the water out of the water bottle at the crowd.
7) Lots of instrument switching. KAZ would show off each new one.
8) One song I think had the bass player acting like a puppet.
9) They also did some covers. Trouble – Shampoo and Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds – Beatles.
10) Needed to use my headphones as earplugs. They were selling earplugs for $1 at the coat check.
11) I felt a little like the guy in this K-On clip.
The gist of the video is: She’s rejected by the guy she likes because he likes wild girls. So she changes for him. But in the end, he tells her she’s gone too far and she’s rejected again. :P